Welcome to Dr Carroll & Partners, Cumbernauld
Welcome to our practice website. We aim to provide all of our patients with a comprehensive range of healthcare services covering one-off problems to longer term illnesses. Feel free to explore the site and find out how you and your family can benefit from our personal and professional approach to healthcare provision.
Information and Announcements
*** Coronavirus (Covid-19) ***
Updated guidance from Scottish Government 14/4/2022:
Any individuals visiting or attending primary care premises (GP practices, dentists, opticians and pharmacies) are strongly recommended to continue to wear a face covering.
We would be grateful if you would please consider this Government guidance when attending the Practice - we have patients who are clinically vulnerable and for whom Covid-19 still poses a greater risk.
** Local advice for Scotland: https://www.nhsinform.scot/coronavirus **
Please see this Health Protection Scotland page for further advice. This page will be updated automatically as new information becomes available.
Further information is available on the Scottish Government website.
NHS Lanarkshire is redesigning primary care services
As NHS services start to return to their ‘new normal’ while still dealing with Covid-19, Lanarkshire residents are asked to be aware of and adhere to the changes that are now in place at local GP practices.
Dr Linda Findlay, Medical Director South Lanarkshire Health and Social Care Partnership, said: “We want people to know that their practices are open and here to help. However, there have been a lot of changes due to covid-19 and these will be in place for the foreseeable future.”
There are 100 GP practices across Lanarkshire and while each will have their own process, there are changes that will be consistent across practices. These include:
- Most appointments will now be by telephone or video consultation. After your initial assessment by telephone, practice staff will advise what is most appropriate for you. Remember this may be another service – for example, self-care, dentist, community pharmacy (Pharmacy First) or optician (LENS).
- Patients are able to receive a face-to-face appointment when necessary – for example, when a physical examination is needed or if tests need to be carried out.
- Measures will be in place to ensure safety and physical distancing – for example, reduced capacity in waiting rooms, one-way systems, hand sanitiser and face coverings.
- Appointment systems will change to avoid queues. You will receive a precise time for your appointment, please do not arrive early or late. Reception staff will advise you on their own process.
Dr Findlay added: “I understand that it can be frustrating not always being able to see your GP, or other healthcare professional, face-to-face. However, we all need to play our part in suppressing covid-19 to keep ourselves and our communities safe.
“General practice and other community services have continued throughout covid-19, but it’s important to understand that we are not ‘restarting’ services as they were before, but ‘redesigning’ them in line with national guidance to keep all Lanarkshire patients safe. I would like to thank the people of Lanarkshire for their continued patience and understanding as we move forward and services start to resume.”
* Our Appointment system during the Coronavirus pandemic *
We use a Triage-based system for urgent emergency medical matters - when you phone Reception our staff will ask you for your details and a short description of your problem. You may be directed to other more appropriate services, or a GP or Nurse will phone you back later to discuss the issue with you.
We also offer pre-bookable phone appointments for medical issues that you consider to be more routine (ie non-emergency) - please ask our Reception staff if this is more suitable.
Please see the Appointments page for more details.
* There is a nationwide shortage of GPs and this issue has also affected the Practice.
The Practice has worked hard to recruit doctors to make up this shortfall.
We recognise that this is making it more difficult to arrange an appointment and we are grateful for your understanding and patience.
** If you have an urgent medical matter, please inform Reception who will contact the GP On Call **
* The law on Data Protection has changed
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is an EU law that came into effect on 25 May 2018 to replace the previous Data Protection Act.
If you have previously signed a "consent to share medical information" form and you wish this to continue, you will be required to fill in and sign a new form to comply with the GDPR. Please ask for a new form from Reception.
If you have previously consented to the Practice contacting you via the SMS text message service, you will receive a message from us asking if you wish to continue this service.
* As well as being able to see when we are open at the click of a mouse we’ve made it easier for you to do a number of things. Check out how to order a repeat prescription or update your contact details online.
* Our phone lines have a queuing system to allow us to deal with your phone-calls in a more efficient way. We hope that you find this service helpful.
* Attend Anywhere / Near Me - is a secure video-consulting service, to allow safe and confidential discussion with a GP or Nurse from our Practice. This is for pre-arranged consultations only - please do not enter this site unless instructed by the GP or Nurse.
Prescriptions and Pharmacy Pick-up
* Please click here to register with the Online Prescription Service.
* We would be grateful if you could update Reception with your preferred local Pharmacy of choice. Your prescriptions will then automatically be sent there for your convenience.
Please allow a full 48 hours between requesting and collecting your medication.
Your Contact Details
Please ensure that we have your correct contact details, including mobile phone number and email address. These details can be updated easily by clicking the box below or at Reception.
Flu Vaccination Appointments
From October 2020, the flu vaccination programme has been arranged centrally by North Lanarkshire Health Board and flu vaccinations are no longer provided at the surgery.
The Health Board will contact all eligible patients directly by letter with a date, time and venue for their vaccination. Please do not contact the Practice as we are not provided with this information.
If you are 50-74 you will receive an invitation to participate in the Bowel Screening Programme.
Click here to find out more.
NHS Inform - Scotland's Health Information Service
You no longer have to look in lots of different places for health information.
Visit nhsinform.scot or call 0800 22 44 88 (8am - 10pm)
SPIRE - Scottish Primary Care Information Resource
NHSScotland is improving the way it uses information from GP patient records. SPIRE is a service that will allow small amounts of information from GP practice records to be used to help doctors' surgeries, NHSScotland and the Scottish Government to improve care and plan services, and to help researchers to learn more from patient information held at GP practices.
A new campaign is underway to inform patients across Scotland of the benefits of the service, and the confidential and secure way in which GP patient records will be used to help plan and improve health care services.
You have a choice about your patient record being used in this way. To find out more go to spire.scot or call NHS Inform on 0800 22 44 88.
CPRD - Clinical Practice Research Datalink
Dr Carroll and Partners contributes to the Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD)
Information in patient records is important for medical research to develop new treatments and test the safety of medicines. This practice supports medical research by sending some of this information from patient records to CPRD.
CPRD is a Government organisation that provides anonymised patient data for research to improve patient and public health. You cannot be identified from the information sent to CPRD.
If you do not want anonymised information from your patient record to be used in research, you can opt out by speaking to one ot our Doctors.
For more information about how your data is used please visit: www.cprd.com/public
(Site updated 10/05/2022)